The Paw Print

Just getting started

"It's not just a game "

Josalyn Gonzales, Reporter

Jayda Coleman, state champ, #1 ranked batter in the nation, amazing friend, TCHS student. Yeah everyone knows her. Everyone knows her as the amazing softball player, but there is more to her then just an amazing softball player.

Being good at softball takes a lot of work. Lots of practice and training just to be good. It will also take a lot of people to help reach her goals. So when did Jayda start playing softball ?

“I started playing softball when I was 4 years old. My whole family inspired me. My mom and sister played softball and my dad played softball. I grew up around the game.”

Having a parent as a coach is the most hardest thing, saying that they are pushing you to your hardest just to be the best. So how could Jayda handle having her mom as a coach for her high school team.

“It can be so difficult sometimes, but I am glad she is by my side through the high and lows”

Playing one sport can be so difficult, playing two sports can be even more harder, but playing three sports is just too much to handle. Not for Jayda, she is playing three sports for her school, and handling it just fine.

“The sports I play are volleyball, softball and run track. It’s a lot of fun, I get to meet a lot of different athletes and train different parts of my body.”

Softball teams aren’t perfect. Being on a softball team can be even more stressful. Just trying to help out but at the same time trying to make yourself better. It’s difficult trying to get to know new people on a new team.

“I love my team this year, I would say this year is one of my favorite teams. We are very loud and play with lots of energy. It was so exciting when I joined softball at my school. I have known most of the girls since I was little. We have dreamed of playing with each other for years. I am very excited for this coming up year. This team is very different in a lot of different ways but hope to bring another state ring home.”

Going to college can be difficult. Knowing where you are going and having a good plan for when you get out.

“I am looking forward to going to Oklahoma University. I went on a tour to go visit, I feel in-love with the campus. The softball coach made it feel like home. In order to accomplish my dream I will always have something I will need to improve on. I would want to improve on my pitching. Because their are so many different batters and I need to be able to throw strikes  on all of them.”

Best friends on the field is always the best thing. Because you know you have someone on your side and always have your back for every mistake. You can also have best friends out side of the team you play on. They could help you form you to be who you are.

“My best friend MJ is one of the few people I trust to share my hobby with. We both play on Texas Glory and love shopping (with our parents money).  Also I get an amazing feeling having one of my best friends Madison Hirsch by my side. She is a great leader and outstanding player, she always hyped to play the game she loves and she pushes me to make me better. (She is one of the big reasons why I am ranked #1 in the nation).”

Showing your real self inside and out and can be hard when you have everyone watching your every move. You have to make sure you aren’t doing anything bad.

“I think softball reflects who I am by me being very loud and very competitive, and that qualities you have to have. My dreams are to play for the Olympics, USA team and play pro. I would also like to travel around the United States giving camps. Also would like to start my own sports wear. I want to be remembered as a good humbled person. Not just a great athlete but a person that everyone lived and joked around with. I would like to be remembered as the first person left-handed short stop. Before every game when I am playing for my high school team. I must warm up with Coco (Madison). During a game I have to go to the edge of the dirt and pray to God in between innings. After a game I drink chocolate milk.”

For anyone with an athletic life, it is your dream to win first place and state. You practice hard everyday and go through thick and thin just to get there. When you finally get there it can be unbelievable and just take every breath away from you too.

“Playing at state is nothing like any else. It’s hard to remember everything but the biggest thing I remember is winning and running to my best friends to celebrate all of our hard work. It’s something I will never forget. It’s unbelievable, we always had dream of winning state but I never thought it would actually happen. It’s one of the best feelings in the world.”

Being names #1 ranked player knowing that you are just a freshman going to be a sophomore soon. It can put a lot of things in your mind and make you want to work hard to continue to be #1 player. Because in just one blink in and eye you can lose your place to another girl that is better.

“I never thought I would be #1, till this day it’s hard to believe that I am. There are so many great girls around me, it’s hard for me to think of myself as a great player, too.”

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Story of Texas State Swimming Record Holder

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Do Cross Me Again

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Congrats to our Top Ten Seniors

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Starting Off Strong

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Second year of FFA and BIG things are happening here

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Multicultural Day, April 23, 2018, provides educational opportunity

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Mural completed at The Colony Recreation Center

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Shattered Dreams – presented to juniors, seniors (slideshow)

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Earth Week Dress Up Schedule

• Just getting started

Top Stories

Softball slideshow from March 6 games

The school news site of The Colony High School
Just getting started