The Paw Print

Do Cross Me Again

It's Syd Martin, our crossing guard.

It's Syd Martin, our crossing guard.

It's Syd Martin, our crossing guard.

Robert Murray, Reporter

She stands out near the Softball Fields, ensuring the safety of many pedestrians as they cross the street. She does her work with a smile, and lightens the days of everyone around her. She waves to all her passerbys, as she enjoys a day in the sun. She is, Syd Martin, our Crossing Guard.    

“Almost ready to hit the big 6-5. Been doing it for 2 years. Started out as a substitute, but went full time. It is so fun!”

Syd Martin had taken the position as our Crossing Guard two years ago. What started out as a substitute job, became her full time, regular job, watching over the crosswalk in the mornings and afternoons. She strives to make every time a car or pedestrian crosses by her crosswalk a positive experience. From simple waves to short conversations, she makes it not only her duty to protect the safety of crossers, but also make them smile.

“I feel like I have more friends now than I ever had.”

Martin has built a good relationship between the community and herself – between student, parent and worker, even if many of them don’t even know her name. It’s not a job that she has chosen for financial gain, rather, something she chose as a labor of love. Martin finds happiness, in the small, good things in people, and as many people around her find, a reminder, of the small, good things in life.

“Hot, and sweaty. I just smile. I feel good, and I’m happy for two full hours, and I get home.”

Many people I know, my parents included, always know her. Simply as, the nice crossing lady who waves at cars, and it goes to show, how a little bit of positivity, will go a very long way. People know her from her friendly attitude and short bursts of positivity she is able to inject into everyone she sees. She’s more than just a crossing guard, and she’s made sure of that. She’s found a way to make the most of anything, and everyone around her.

“Kinda scary. Sometimes I just wanna jump out at some of these cars. Kinda scary.”

She took up the job first to cover for people who may have complications, and decided to go farther. She continued her service as the crossing guard, as a way to give back to the community. Ensuring safety, in the unexpected Texas weather, where it’s either always hot or cold, is one way, but she chose to go one step farther, pursuing to give a little bit of her own positivity to everyone at the school.

“I like being outside. It’s the least I could do to give back to our community. Got a lot more than I bargained for.”

And the sentiment is shared by the students and parents. Waves are frequently returned by drivers, crossers greet her with a smile, and every open-top, or window down car stopped, she has a peppy conversation with while the pedestrians cross. During the winter, a cold morning that many would rather spend bundled up, or in the heated indoors of the school, she remained on duty, and in that morning, the students decided to give back to her. A car parked nearby, and out came students, with fresh, warm doughnuts to share with her. A moment that personally touched her. She saw, that kindness could be infectious, and the students are willing to show it as well.

“I can’t wait to come back in the fall. This is gonna kill me, it’s just seven days! I just hope they’re just as nice, I really hope they do.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Zf3tjVrDE

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Story of Texas State Swimming Record Holder

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Congrats to our Top Ten Seniors

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Starting Off Strong

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Second year of FFA and BIG things are happening here

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Multicultural Day, April 23, 2018, provides educational opportunity

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Mural completed at The Colony Recreation Center

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Shattered Dreams – presented to juniors, seniors (slideshow)

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Earth Week Dress Up Schedule

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

Softball slideshow from March 6 games

• Do Cross Me Again

Top Stories

TATC’s The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time won the Zone Contest, March5

The school news site of The Colony High School
Do Cross Me Again